New in version 7.0
- Version 7.0 of Knoppix is based on the usual picks from Debian stable (squeeze) and testing (wheezy), with newer package versions especially for desktop applications. It uses kernel 3.2.4 and xorg 7.6 (core 220.127.116.111) for supporting current computer
- experimental free Nouveau graphics modules supporting NVidia cards, accelerated graphics via kernel mode settings (KMS),
- LibreOffice 3.4.5,
- Chromium 16.0.912.77 and Firefox/Iceweasel 10.0 Web Browser,
- Optional 64-bit Kernel via boot option "knoppix64", supporting systems with more than 4GB of RAM and chroot to 64-bit installations for system rescue tasks (DVD version only).
- Boot option "grub", for starting a bootloader shell in system rescue tasks.
- ADRIANE: Version 1.4 of the audio desktop framework, now using cuneiform as engine for text recognition of scanned texts, enhanced support for several cellphone models via gammu (SMS function).
- Viacam for controlling the mouse cursor by movement of head or hand using the builtin webcam.
Download a partire da questa pagina.
- The first and best way to try a Gentoo-based Linux distribution at its full power, with all working out-of-the-box and no compilation needed at all
- Faster, cleaner and more evolved than any other rolling distro out there: we work hard to bring you the most stable rolling release experience
- Keep up-to-date your system in minutes while maintaining full Gentoo Portage compatibility
- Focusing on performance: GCC 4.6 with Graphite Loop Transformation infrastructure and Link Time Optimizations enabled
- Always up-to-date Linux Kernel 3.2 (and experimental "Fusion" Kernels available in repositories)
- Providing extra Server-oriented Linux kernels (OpenVZ, Vserver, Generic Server)
- Natively supporting the btrfs file system (besides ext4, aufs, and others)
- Transform Sabayon into an full-featured HTPC Operating System (Media Center) using XBMC 10.1 (11.0 available soon)
- GNOME 3.2.2 Visual Environment
- KDE 4.7.4 Desktop Environment (4.8.0 available in a few days)
- Improved Xfce 4.8 out-of-the-box experience (for those missing GNOME2)
- Improved LibreOffice integration, updated to 3.4.4
- Migrated to libav as ffmpeg replacement
- Migrated to Java 7 and Subversion 1.7
- Cinnamon and Razor Qt available in repositories
- Entropy Framework (Package Manager, Web Services) updated to 1.0_rc86, consolidating stability and performance
- Support for IME and non-roman fonts at install time
- Support for non-latin languages at install time
- More than 12000 packages available for x86_64, i686
Download dai mirror indicati a questa pagina.
La Document Foundation ha annunciato il rilascio di LibreOffice 3.3.4.
LibreOffice 3.3.4 fixes several bugs, the next maintenance release 3.3.5 is scheduled for October. In the meantime, development is continuing on the 3.4 series, which offers new features. The next version in that branch – LibreOffice 3.4.3 – is expected by the end of August.
The Document Foundation maintains two editions of LibreOffice: version 3.3.x caters to conservative users, who wish to stick to a proven release in deep maintenance mode, with increasingly infrequent updates, while the 3.4 branch provides a more modern and featurefull release. We therefore strongly recommend everyone to update to the 3.4 series in the near future.
The LiveDVD features a superb list of packages, some of which are listed below.
- System packages include: Linux kernel 3.0 (with Gentoo patches), Accessibility Support with Speakup, Bash 4.2, GLIBC 2.13-r2, GCC 4.5.2, Binutils 2.21.1, Python 2.7.2 and 3.2, Perl 5.12.4, and more.
- Desktop environments and window managers include: KDE 4.7.0, GNOME 3.0.0, Xfce 4.8, Enlightenment 1.0.8, Openbox 3.5.0, Fluxbox 1.3.1, XBMC 10.1 Awesome 3.4.10, and LXDE-Meta 0.5.5.
- Office, graphics, and productivity applications include: LibreOffice 3.3.3, XEmacs 21.5.31 GVim 7.3.244, Abiword 2.8.6, Scribus 1.3.9, GIMP 2.6.11, Inkscape 0.48.2, Blender 2.57, XSane 0.998, and much more.
- Web browsers include: Mozilla Firefox 5.0, Chromium 13.0 Arora 0.11.0, Opera 11.50.1074, Epiphany 3.0.4, Seamonkey 2.2, and other favorites.
- Communication tools include: Pidgin 2.9.0, Quassel 0.7.2, Mozilla Thunderbird 5.0, Claws Mail 3.7.9, QTwitter 0.10.0, Irssi 0.8.15, and many more.
- Development applications include: KDevelop 4.2.3, KDESvn 1.5.5, Qt-creator 2.2.1, Bluefish 2.0.3, and many more.
- Multimedia applications include: Amarok 2.4.3, MPlayer 1.0_rc4, MPlayer2 2.0, DVDAuthor 0.6.14, LAME 3.98.4, FFmpeg 0.6.90, GNOME-MPlayer 1.0.4, SMPlayer 0.6.9, and several others.
Rilasciata la versione 3.4.0 della suite LibreOffice. Note di rilascio disponibili a questa pagina, la lista delle nuove funzionalità è disponibile a questa pagina. Download a partire da questa pagina.
There are a few issues still contained in this release, which will be addressed soon with upcoming bug fix releases:
- Cannot restore deleted text with change tracking
- Lost formatting with Excel XLS export
- MS Office 2010 complains about damaged MS Office 2003/XP documents created by LibreOffice 3.4
- PowerPoint PPTX files created by LibreOffice can't be opened by MS Office Web Apps; PowerPoint PPT files created by LibreOffice can't be opened by MS PowerPoint Viewer 2010 but they can be opened by MS Office
- MS OFFICE document recovery fails after crash
- Data in reports created by Report Wizard do not display all data records
- In forms, all radio buttons are selected
- Writer crashes when using undo-redo on moved formulas
"With today's proposal to contribute the OpenOffice.org code to The Apache Software Foundation's Incubator, Oracle continues to demonstrate its commitment to the developer and open source communities. Donating OpenOffice.org to Apache gives this popular consumer software a mature, open, and well established infrastructure to continue well into the future. The Apache Software Foundation's model makes it possible for commercial and individual volunteer contributors to collaborate on open source product development."
Dovrebbero quindi cadere i timori di quanti prevedevano per OpenOffice un futuro non più open source ne' da software freeware. The Document Foundation in un comunicato auspica "la riunificazione dei progetti OpenOffice.org e LibreOffice in una sola comunità di eguali", ma conclude che vi sono comunque ancora delle differenze in materia di licenze e membership tra Apache software foundation e il progetto LibreOffice.
A universe of new features for end users: GNOME 3 desktop environment, Btrfs filesystem, Indic typing booster, Better crash reporting, Redesigned SELinux troubleshooter, Higher compression in live images, Better power management, LibreOffice productivity suite, Firefox 4 web browser, KDE plasma workspaces 4.6 and Xfce 4.8 desktop environments.
Rilasciata LibreOffice 3.3.2, secondo update della suite office
The Document Foundation announces LibreOffice 3.3.2, the second micro release of the free office suite for personal productivity, which further improves the stability of the software and sets the platform for the next release 3.4, due in mid May.
This release of Fedora includes a variety of features both over and under the hood that show off the power and flexibility of the advancing state of free software. Examples include:
- Updated Desktop Environments. Fedora 15 will ship with GNOME 3, the next major version of the GNOME desktop. If you're interested in other experiences, KDE and Xfce will also be showcasing the latest and greatest in desktop technology from their respective projects.
- System and session management. Previously available as a technology preview in F14, systemd makes its full-fledged debut in Fedora 15. systemd is a smarter, more efficient way of starting up and managing the background daemons relied on by services we all use every day - such as NetworkManager and PulseAudio.
- Cloud. Looking to create appliances for use in the Cloud? BoxGrinder creates appliances (virtual machines) for various platforms (KVM, Xen, EC2) from simple plain text appliance definition files for various virtual platforms.
- Updated programming languages and tools. Fedora 15 features new versions of Rails, OCaml, and Python. GDB and GCC have also been updated. (Fedora 15 was built with GCC 4.6.0, too!)
- Productivity Applications. LibreOffice is filled with tools for everyday use, including word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation applications.
- Consistent Network Device Naming. Server management just got even easier. Fedora 15 uses BIOS-provided, non-arbitrarily given names for network ports, taking the burden off of system administrators.
- Dynamic Firewall. Fedora 15 adds support for the optional firewall daemon, that provides a dynamic firewall management with a D-Bus interface.
- Ecryptfs in Authconfig. Fedora 15 brings in improved support for eCryptfs, a stacked cryptographic filesystem for Linux. Starting with Fedora 15, authconfig can be used to automatically mount a private encrypted part of the home directory when a user logs in.
- DNSSEC for workstations. NetworkManager now uses the BIND nameserver as a DNSSEC resolver. All received DNS responses are proved to be correct. If particular domain is signed and failed to validate then resolver returns SERFVAIL instead of invalidated response, which means something is wrong.
Note di rilascio disponibili a questa pagina. Download a partire da questa pagina, o direttamente da questi link
Fedora-15-Alpha-i686-Live-Desktop.iso (567MB, torrent),
Fedora-15-Alpha-i686-Live-KDE.iso (667MB, torrent)
Fedora-15-Alpha-x86_64-Live-Desktop.iso (568MB, torrent),
Fedora-15-Alpha-x86_64-Live-KDE.iso (666MB, torrent).
Alpha 2 is the second in a series of milestone CD images that will be released throughout the Natty development cycle. New packages showing up for the first time include:
* LibreOffice 3.3 (has replaced OpenOffice.org 3.2)
* X.org Server 1.10 and Mesa 7.10
* Linux Kernel 2.6.38-rc2.
Note di rilascio disponibili a questa pagina. Download da questa pagina, o direttamente da questi link
natty-desktop-i386.iso (689MB, torrent),
natty-desktop-amd64.iso (692MB, torrent).
Rilasciata la seconda alpha anche di Kubuntu 11.04 (download, note di rilascio), Xubuntu 11.04 (download), Ubuntu Studio 11.04 (download), Edubuntu 11.04 (download), Mythbuntu 11.04 (download).