This release of Fedora includes a variety of features both over and under the hood that show off the power and flexibility of the advancing state of free software. Examples include:
- Cloud Updates. Fedora now includes a number of new and improved features to support cloud computing, includingHekaFS, a "cloud ready" version of GlusterFS, including additional auth*/crypto/multi-tenancy; pacemaker-cloud, application service high availability in a cloud environment; and IaaS implementations such as Aeolus andOpenStack.
- Virtualization. Once again Fedora raises the bar on virtualization support, including expanded virtual network support, an improved Spice for managing virtual machines, restored Xen support, a new virtual machine lock manager, and improved ability to browse guest file systems.
- System Boot. Fedora 16 introduces GRUB2, the long-awaited next-generation boot-loader for Linux. GRUB2 automatically recognizes other operating systems, supports LVM2 and LUKS partitions, and is more customizable than the previous version. In this release, only x86 systems with a BIOS uses GRUB2 by default. Work is ongoing for making GRUB2 the default for other architectures and systems.
- Services Management. Fedora 15 introduced the Systemd services management program. This release features better integration of Systemd via conversion to native systemd services from legacy init scripts in many software components -- for desktop users, this means faster boot times; for system administrators it means more powerful management of services.
- Desktop Updates. The two major desktop environments have been updated to the latest releases: KDE Software Compilation 4.7 and GNOME 3.1 development release. GNOME 3.2 is available in the updates testing repository, enabled by default in this release.
- System Accounts. Fedora now standardizes on login.defs as authority for UID/GID space allocation, and has moved boundary between system and user accounts from 500 to 1000 to match conventions followed by several other Linux distributions. Upgrading from a existing release will not be affected by this change and you can use kickstart to override this change during installation if necessary.
The LiveDVD features a superb list of packages, some of which are listed below.
- System packages include: Linux kernel 3.0 (with Gentoo patches), Accessibility Support with Speakup, Bash 4.2, GLIBC 2.13-r2, GCC 4.5.2, Binutils 2.21.1, Python 2.7.2 and 3.2, Perl 5.12.4, and more.
- Desktop environments and window managers include: KDE 4.7.0, GNOME 3.0.0, Xfce 4.8, Enlightenment 1.0.8, Openbox 3.5.0, Fluxbox 1.3.1, XBMC 10.1 Awesome 3.4.10, and LXDE-Meta 0.5.5.
- Office, graphics, and productivity applications include: LibreOffice 3.3.3, XEmacs 21.5.31 GVim 7.3.244, Abiword 2.8.6, Scribus 1.3.9, GIMP 2.6.11, Inkscape 0.48.2, Blender 2.57, XSane 0.998, and much more.
- Web browsers include: Mozilla Firefox 5.0, Chromium 13.0 Arora 0.11.0, Opera 11.50.1074, Epiphany 3.0.4, Seamonkey 2.2, and other favorites.
- Communication tools include: Pidgin 2.9.0, Quassel 0.7.2, Mozilla Thunderbird 5.0, Claws Mail 3.7.9, QTwitter 0.10.0, Irssi 0.8.15, and many more.
- Development applications include: KDevelop 4.2.3, KDESvn 1.5.5, Qt-creator 2.2.1, Bluefish 2.0.3, and many more.
- Multimedia applications include: Amarok 2.4.3, MPlayer 1.0_rc4, MPlayer2 2.0, DVDAuthor 0.6.14, LAME 3.98.4, FFmpeg 0.6.90, GNOME-MPlayer 1.0.4, SMPlayer 0.6.9, and several others.
With over 800 updates, including minor and major updates, the current milestone is ready for some serious testing. This iteration already sees some major upgrades taking place, with the kernel moving on to 2.6.39 and GNOME to 3.0. In addition we have popular GNOME applications like Evolution, Eye of GNOME and others all synchronized, and KDE’s Plasma Desktop coming along nicely with a minor version upgrade to 4.6.3. You will also find upgrades to GCC, glibc, Perl, Python, and the RPM package manager.
Download a partire da questa pagina.
Debian 6.0 è un sistema operativo libero e per la prima volta viene fornito in due varianti. Accanto a GNU/Linux, con questa versione viene introdotta, comeanteprima tecnologica, Debian GNU/kFreeBSD.
Debian funziona su dispositivi di ogni tipo, dai palmari ai supercomputer. Supporta inoltre un totale di nove architetture: 32-bit PC/Intel IA-32 (i386), 64-bit PC/Intel EM64T / x86-64 (amd64), Motorola/IBM PowerPC (powerpc), Sun/Oracle SPARC (sparc), MIPS (mips (big-endian) and mipsel (little-endian)), Intel Itanium (ia64), IBM S/390 (s390) e ARM EABI (armel).
Questo rilascio include le ultime versioni disponibili di molti software, tra i quali:
- Aree di lavoro e applicazioni KDE Plasma 4.4.5
- una versione aggiornata dell'ambiente desktop GNOME 2.30
- l'ambiente desktop Xfce 4.6
- LXDE 0.5.0
- X.Org 7.5
- OpenOffice.org 3.2.1
- GIMP 2.6.11
- Iceweasel 3.5.16 (una versione di Mozilla Firefox priva del marchio)
- Icedove 3.0.11 (una versione di Mozilla Thunderbird priva del marchio)
- PostgreSQL 8.4.6
- MySQL 5.1.49
- GNU Compiler Collection 4.4.5
- Linux 2.6.32
- Apache 2.2.16
- Samba 3.5.6
- Python 2.6.6, 2.5.5 and 3.1.3
- Perl 5.10.1
- PHP 5.3.3
- Asterisk 220.127.116.11
- Nagios 3.2.3
- Xen Hypervisor 4.0.1 (con il supporto per dom0 e per domU)
- OpenJDK 6b18
- Tomcat 6.0.18
- più di 29.000 altri pacchetti pronti per l'uso, generati a partire da circa 15.000 sorgenti.
Debian 6.0 comprende inoltre più di 10.000 nuovi pacchetti, come il browser Chromium, la suite di controllo Icinga, l'interfaccia Software Center per la gestione dei pacchetti, il gestore delle reti wicd, gli strumenti lxc per i container Linux e il framework per cluster Corosync.
Le note di rilascio sono disponibili a questa pagina. Il download è possibile da questa pagina, o direttamente da questi link
debian-6.0.0-i386-DVD-1.iso (4475 MB, torrent),
debian-6.0.0-amd64-DVD-1.iso (4446 MB, torrent).
This release contains minor bug fixes and updates of several core modules, as well as minor documentation updates. It should be fully backward compatible with Perl 5.12.2.
Perl 5.12.3 represents approximately four months of development since Perl 5.12.2 and contains approximately 2500 lines of changes across 54 files from 16 authors.
Il rilascio della prossima versione, la 5.12.4, è previsto per la metà del 2011.
FIXED IN ALPHA 2:
- You are now able to choose between a variety of installs, such as Desktop, Basic Server, Web Developement Workstation, and others. As an extra bonus, Minimal install is actually minimal.
- We have gotten the following packages to build, and they are in the release.